Service isn't always necessarily grouped into the same category as learning, but in many instances an act of service can help you learn something new. If you are doing a service for someone or something you will be learning not only about the service itself but the people you are helping and their lives in general. Service is defined as "the action of helping or doing work for someone." Learning is defined as "the acquisition of knowledge or skills through the experience, study, or by being taught." By doing a service you will be acquiring knowledge and skills throughout the experience and even in some instances be taught new things that you didn't know before.
The service that we are going to be doing will consist of spending time with refugees from all over the world who aren't familiar with the customs or languages of America. I plan on being with a family who has kids of all ages and parents who are adjusting to a whole new country, I believe that I will learn: some of their customs, their language, how they lived and just how life in another country is. I think that with me doing this service it will open my mind up to other cultures and see how other people live their lives, therefore I will be learning all about the family's home country. Also, it will allow me to see the struggles that other countries go through and how much easier I have it here. I think that I will learn a lot about myself and how to be mindful of other peoples situations but also that I truly can make a difference in someones life. In the end, I hope to learn new skills and experiences by fulfilling the service I will be doing.
Great job already making connections to the service project!
ReplyDelete