Thursday, April 3, 2014

Now What: #3

I have learned so much about being more open to other cultures and having a better "attitude" with our service learning project and I can thank my refugee family for that. I can definitely use what I have learned to help me not to judge others off of what race they are, what background they come from or what language they speak because we are all humans and there isn't one race that is better than another one: we are all equal.  

   I plan on being a nurse and I know that I will encounter many interactions with people of different backgrounds and cultures. This service project has taught me to try and understand other cultures and be more accepting instead of shrugging people off if I can't understand them. The rest of my life I will encounter situations with all kinds of people with other cultures because more and more people are immigrating into the United States as we are a very diverse country. Especially in the health field I will have to treat patients and try and make them feel comfortable if they aren't familiar with our ways of doing things. I learned with this project that especially when the mom was breast-feeding in front of us not to judge her but just to be accepting and know that that is how some cultures may be. When the little boy was in the house and was somewhat in our way I adapted and tried to get comfortable because he was welcomed into their home the same as we were and we had no more rights than he did being there. I am really glad that I got the chance to try and help the little kids also learn to speak English and how to count money and other things like that. My favorite activity was when we baked cookies with them and watched the movie Frozen. The kids had a great time and it was fun to see them doing regular things that kids would do. I also don't think they had ever had chocolate chip cookies because when they tasted the cookies their faces lit up. I learned so much with my refugee family that I really think it will help me in life to have a more ethnorelative outlook on things, and be more accepting of other cultures. I am better prepared for the confusion that may come up if someone of a different background or speaks a different language needs treated or helped for when I am a nurse!


No comments:

Post a Comment